You may find affiliate links in this post. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Why Trust Us
Arm fat exercises can help tone and strengthen the muscles in the arms.
While it is not easy to target fat loss in a specific area, performing exercises that work the muscles in that area can help to tone and tighten the muscles, making them appear slimmer and more defined.
Thus arm fat exercises can help tone and strengthen the muscles in that area.
Best Arm Fat Exercises that can tone and tighten your arms
Arm fat is the excess fat that accumulates in the upper arms. Such collection of fat can be a concern for many people, especially women.
Aside from improving the appearance of the arms, arm fat exercises can have functional benefits.
Strong arm muscles can help with everyday activities such as carrying groceries or lifting heavy objects. They can also benefit athletes who need to perform upper body movements as part of their sport.
Incorporating arm fat exercises into your fitness routine can help to improve your overall strength, posture, and confidence.
Here are some of the best arm fat exercises that can help you achieve your fitness goals.
Push-ups are popular bodyweight exercises that work the chest, shoulders, and triceps muscles.
They also engage the core and other muscles in the upper body.
They are some of the best exercises to get rid of arm fat. Regular push-ups can help tone and strengthen the muscles in the arms.
Steps to follow
- Start in a high plank position, with your hands placed at shoulder-width at feet hip-width.
- Make your arms straight, and your body should form a straight line from your head to your heels.
- Keeping your body straight, bend your elbows and lower your body towards the ground. Your elbows must be close to your body, and avoid letting them flare out to the sides.
- Continue lowering your body until your chest nearly touches the floor.
- Straighten your arms, engage your chest and triceps, and push back to your starting position.
Triceps dips are bodyweight arm fat exercises that work the triceps. They also engage the muscles in the shoulders and chest.
Steps to follow
- Sit on the edge of a weight bench or chair.
- Place your hands placed next to your hips with your fingers pointing forward.
- Walk your feet forward and lower your hips off the edge of the bench or chair.
- Keep your arms straight and your elbows pointing back.
- Keeping your body straight, bend your elbows and lower your body towards the floor. Ensure your elbows are close to your body, and avoid letting them flare to the sides.
- Continue lowering your body until your upper arms are parallel to the floor.
- Pause, straighten your arms, engage your triceps, and push back to your starting position.
Bicep curls are one of the best exercises for targeting the biceps, the muscle group in the front of the upper arm.
Including bicep curls in your training regimen can help tone and strengthen biceps, making them one of the most effective arm fat exercises.
Using dumbbells allows you to work one arm at a time, making it possible to emphasize the side with more problems. That will let you build a more symmetrical physique.
You can also modify the exercise by performing it with one arm at a time or by altering the grip of the dumbbell, such as a hammer grip, or rotating the wrist at the top of the movement.
Steps to follow
- Grasp a dumbbell in each arm with palms facing forward.
- Stand upright, holding a dumbbell in each hand with feet at shoulder-width and your arms straight down by your sides.
- Engage your biceps, bend your elbows, and curl the dumbbells toward your shoulders.
- Keep your elbows close to your body, and avoid swinging your arms.
- Pause at the top of the movement, squeeze your biceps, and straighten your arms to lower the dumbbells to your starting position.
Hammer curls are a variation of bicep curls. They target and work the brachialis, a muscle in the front of the upper arm, and the biceps. Thus they are some of the best arm fat exercises for toning the muscles in that area.
You will need a pair of dumbbells for the exercise.
You can modify the exercise by performing it with one arm at a time or by altering the grip of the dumbbell, such as a rotating grip at the top of the movement or using a weighted barbell. That will allow you to target the arms in different ways.
Using one arm for the exercise allows you to work on each side of the body separately for a balanced physique.
Steps to follow
- Grab a dumbbell in each hand with palms facing your body.
- Stand with feet at shoulder-width and hold the dumbbells vertically.
- Engage your biceps, bend your elbows, and curl the dumbbells toward your shoulders. Ensure your elbows stay close to your body, and avoid swinging your arms.
- Pause at the top of the movement, squeeze your biceps and brachialis, straighten your arms, and lower the dumbbells to your starting position.
Overhead triceps extensions are one of the best exercises for arm fat.
As the name implies, the exercise targets and tones the triceps muscles at the back of the upper arm.
Including overhead tricep extensions in your workout regimen can help strengthen and tone your triceps and help to reduce arm fat, improving the appearance of your arms.
The exercise involves extending your arms overhead while holding a free weight, such as a dumbbell, which helps strengthen and tone the triceps muscles at the back of the upper arm.
Steps to follow
- Stand or sit with feet at shoulder-width, holding a dumbbell or weight plate with both hands.
- Raise the weight above your head, fully extending your arms.
- Lower the weight behind your head, bending your elbows and keeping your upper arms close to your head.
- Pause briefly, then extend your arms to the starting position.
- Use proper form and engage your triceps throughout the movement.
- Start with a weight that allows you to complete the exercise with good form, and gradually increase the weight as you get stronger.
As the name implies, Dumbbell Tricep Kickbacks target and tone the arm muscles, especially the triceps, and are some of the best arm fat exercises for your training regimen.
This exercise involves extending the arm back against resistance. That help to target and strengthen the triceps muscles at the back of the upper arm.
You will need a dumbbell and, ideally, a flat weight bench for the exercise.
Supporting one knee on a weight bench allows you to target your arms better while changing the angle of the elbows lets you work the muscles from different angles.
Using one hand for the exercises allows you to work the muscles on one side of your body at a time, allowing you to concentrate more on your problem arm.
Including dumbbell kickbacks in your workout routine can help to strengthen and tone your triceps muscles, which can help to reduce arm fat and improve the appearance of your arms.
Steps to follow
- Stand on the left side of a flat weight bench, holding a dumbbell of appropriate weight in your right hand.
- Hinge forward from your hips, bend your right knee slightly, and position your left knee and left hand on the weight bench.
- Grasp a dumbbell in your right hand and bend your left knee, placing your left hand on your left thigh for support. Ensure your back is flat and your right elbow is close to your side.
- Extend your right arm behind you, ensuring your upper arm is stationary and your palm facing inwards.
- Pause briefly, then slowly lower the dumbbell back to your starting position.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
- Switch sides and repeat the motions with your left arm.
Diamond push-ups are a variation of the traditional push-up. They focus more on the triceps, making them effective arm fat exercises for your fitness regimen.
The difference between diamond push-ups and the traditional version is the positioning of the hand.
When doing the Diamond Push-ups, you form a diamond shape at the front or center of your chest with your index fingers and thumbs.
The change may seem subtle, but it allows you to target your triceps much better, making the Diamond Push-ups one of the best arm fat exercises.
Diamond Push-ups are bodyweight exercises that require no gym equipment, making it possible to do them anywhere and at your convenience.
Steps to follow
- Start in a plank position with your hands on the floor, slightly less than shoulder-width apart.
- Bring your thumbs and index fingers together on the floor to form a diamond shape.
- Engage your core and lower your body towards the floor, ensuring your elbows are close to your body.
- Pause just before your chest touches the floor, then push your body back to your starting position.
Renegade rows are some of the best compound exercises that can help burn arm fat.
The exercise engages multiple muscle groups, including the back, core, and arms.
Aside from being excellent arm fat exercises, renegade rows can help improve upper body strength, core stability, arm muscle development, and flexibility.
The exercise involves pulling the weight from the floor towards your torso while in the plank pose.
They are challenging full-body exercises that can help increase calorie burn and promote weight loss and are one of the best arm fat exercises that can help tone and strengthen many other muscles.
Thus it requires high core strength. Newbies should ensure they can hold the plank pose and balance their body on one arm for a minute or more before attempting the exercise.
You will need pair of dumbbells for the renegade rows.
Steps to follow
- Grasp a dumbbell in each hand.
- Get into a plank pose and position your hands directly underneath your shoulders.
- Engage your core and ensure your body, from head to heels, is in a straight line.
- Shift your weight onto one hand and lift one dumbbell upward towards your chest while keeping your elbow close to your body, and then lower it back to the floor.
- Switch sides and repeat with the other arm.
- Continue alternating arms for the desired number of repetitions.
- Ensure you maintain proper form during movements. Keep your hips stable and minimize any rotation or swaying of the body.
Skull crushers, aka lying triceps extensions, can be worthwhile arm fat exercises for those looking to tone and strengthen their triceps muscles.
The exercise involves holding a weight over the head and lowering it towards the forehead, hence the name “skull crusher.”
Aside from helping you to burn unwanted fat, skull crushers can help build muscle mass in the triceps and are some of the best arm fat exercises that can help improve the definition and shape of the arms.
Including the skull crushers in your training regimen can improve overall arm strength and help with other exercises such as push-ups and bench presses.
You will need a straight barbell or an EZ Curl bar for the exercise.
Using an EZ Curl bar reduces the pressure on your wrist and elbow joints, making it a good option for many, including newbies and exercisers with elbow or shoulder issues.
You will need a flat weight bench and an EZ Curl bar or straight barbell for the exercises.
Lie on a weight bench holding the EZ curl bar with both hands.
Steps to follow
- Bring the weight above your chest, with your arms fully extended and your palms facing your feet.
- Engage your triceps and slowly bend your elbows to lower the bar towards and beyond your forehead. Ensure you keep your elbows close to your head.
- Lower the bar as far as possible, pause briefly, then extend your arms to return the bar to your starting position.
Dumbbell Bench Press
Dumbbell chest press, aka dumbbell bench press, works the chest muscles, specifically the pectoralis major and pectoralis minor – the larger and smaller chest muscles.
They also target the triceps and biceps, making them good exercises that can help get rid of arm fat.
You will need a pair of dumbbells and a flat weight bench for the exercises.
Steps to follow
- Grasp a dumbbell in each hand with palms facing forward
- Lie flat on a weight bench with arms extended.
- Lower the dumbbells to the sides of your chest, ensuring your elbows stay close to your body.
- Pause briefly at the bottom of the movement, then press the weights upward to your starting position.
Triceps Cable Pushdown
Triceps cable pushdowns target the tricep muscles, making them capable of burning arm fat.
It involves using a cable machine to perform the exercise>
A cable machine allows you to adjust the weight and resistance to suit your fitness level.
Thus triceps cable pushdowns are good arm fat burning exercises suitable for exercisers of different fitness levels with access to a cable machine.
Steps to follow
- Attach a rope or straight bar to the cable machine and adjust the weight to a suitable level.
- Stand facing the machine with feet at shoulder-width and knees slightly bent.
- Grasp the rope or bar with an overhand grip and bring your elbows close to your sides. Ensure your forearms are parallel to the floor.
- Keeping your upper arms still, engage your triceps and use them to push the rope or bar toward your thighs until you fully extend your arms.
- Pause briefly, then slowly return the rope or bar to your starting position.
Benefits of Arm Fat Exercises
Incorporating arm fat exercises into your training regimen can offer you many benefits.
- Better toning of your arm muscles
Arm fat exercises can help tone and tighten the muscles in the area, giving them a more defined and firm look.
- Improved strength
Regular arm fat exercises can help increase the strength of the muscles in the arms, making it easier to perform everyday tasks that require upper body strength.
- Lower risk of injury
Strong arm muscles can provide stability and support for the shoulders, elbows, and wrists. That can help to reduce the risk of injury.
- Faster metabolism
Strength training exercises, including arm fat exercises, can increase your metabolism, helping you to burn more calories.
- Enhanced athletic performance
Strong arm muscles are vital for athletes who need to perform upper body movements such as throwing or hitting a ball or lifting weights.
Final words from LiveLIfe
Regular exercise can help promote overall fat loss and improve muscle tone and definition. By including arm fat exercises in your workout routine, you can help strengthen and tone the muscles in your arms, helping to improve your functional ability and raise your confidence in the appearance of your arms.
Note, however, that exercises to get rid of arm fat may be more effective than others for some exercisers.
The effectiveness of arm fat exercises will depend on several factors, including your overall fitness level, diet, and exercise routine.
Thus you should pay attention to your pre-workout foods, what you take in during your training, and your post-workout meals.
Identifying the best foods to avoid when building muscle can help you build lean muscles, leading to well-toned arms.
Arm fat exercises can be a valuable addition to a well-rounded fitness routine for a balanced and healthy lifestyle.
- McGrath C. (2013). Myths and misconceptions: Spot reduction and feeling the burn. American Council on Exercise (ACE)
- UK physical activity guidelines. (2011)